- In 2009, worldwide wind capacity reached 159,213 mega watts, out of which 38,312 mega watts were added that year. Asia accounted for the largest share of new installations (40.4%), followed by North America (28.4%) and Europe fell back to the third place (27.3%).
- Wind power showed a growth rate of 31.7% in 2009, the highest rate since 2001.
- All wind turbines installed by the end of 2009 worldwide are generating 340 TWh per annum, equivalent to the total electricity demand of Italy, the seventh largest economy of the world, and equalling 2% of global electricity consumption.
- The wind sector had a turnover of 50 billion â‚¬ in 2009.
- The wind sector also employed 550,000 persons worldwide in 2009. In the year 2012, the wind industry is expected to employ 1 million people.
Top 5 facts sources: World Wind Energy Report 2009.