- Video game software unit sales in the United States declined seven percent for all of 2009.
- Combined video game software unit sales across the world's three largest games markets experienced a decline of 8 percent in calendar year 2009, totaling 379.3 million units according to NPD.
- Japan showed the most modest decline in sales with a 2 percent decline in software units.
- The United States and UK saw respective declines of 7 percent and 14 percent.
- According to the NPD group, the overall gaming software market in 2009 declined in large part due to the shrinking PlayStation 2 software market, which experienced a 57 percent decrease across the top global markets in 2009 based on units: U.S. -56 percent; UK -67 percent; Japan -55 percent.
Top 5 facts sources: http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100203a.html