- Pharmaceutical drug sales in the United States totaled 291.5 billion dollars in 2008, up 1.4% from 2007.
- In 2007 Pfizer spent 2.1 billion dollars promoting it's products. Glaxosmithkline, 2.04 billion dollars. All in all the pharmaceutical industry spent 20.35 billion dollars promoting it's products in the United States in 2007.
- Globally the blood thinner Plavix grew 16.9% in 2008.
- Prescription drug sales rose by 0.9% in 2008.
- Oncologics was the fastest growing category of drug sales up by 14%.
Top 5 facts sources: Pharm exec report 2009: The Pharm Exec 50, Imshealth report: Top 20 Pharma Companies 2007.